jesus. husband. babies

jesus. husband. babies

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Dang girl, this is intense!

Since Tenn was 7 months old I have read him books before bed and his nap time. He has always been a willing participant (which I have enjoyed greatly). Now at 22 months he absolutely loved being read to. He loves to study the books (inside and out).
A few months ago my friend Shari got him a "mommy and me" bible and it has taken a few months to convince him that he should want to sit through a story with very few pictures.
So yesterday I decided that I would read to him about Jesus crucifixion (Easter is just around the corner)! SO I started in

"Mary's face flushed red and little beads of sweat popped out of her forehead. She felt faintness creeping up from her stomach to her head and she grabbed a friends arm to steady herself. When a Roman solider slapped a whip across Jesus' back, Mary flinched. She moved to the back of the crowd, but she kept her eyes on Jesus. "get moving!" the solider shouted. Jesus hoisted the wooden cross to his shoulder and walked slowly down the road. 
Marys heart ached as the crowds of people shouted at her son and made fun of Him, "Yeah, look at the king of the Jews now!" "Why don't you call down and angle army and save yourself?" She had to look away, it was too heartbreaking. 
When the parade reached Calvary Jesus was nailed to the cross and as they dropped the cross into the ground Mary ran to the front of the crowd and stood straight below Jesus. The man on the cross was loving and kind. Mary had known him his whole life and he had never done anything wrong or unkind. Mary remembered 34 years ago when an Angel appeared to her told her that she would bear the One who was to be the Messiah, this must be what he meant. 
Mary looked into Jesus' eyes-the eyes of her son-the eyes of Gods son. Despite all the terrible things that were happening to him those eyes were filled with love, complete and total love. Even in the midst of being hurt, made fun of and killed. 
It was the oddest feeling for Mary when Jesus said "It is finished". When Jesus died a piece of her heart died too....and yet she knew she was reborn at that same moment. "

I have read verses like this for years but until I think about Mary (Jesus' mother) I don't fully understand the reality of what happened:

Isaiah 50:6  I offered my back to those who beat me, my cheeks to those who pulled out my beard; I did not hide my face from mocking and spitting.
Matthew 26:67 Then they spit in his face and struck him with their fists. Others slapped him
Matthew 27:30 They spit on him, and took the staff and struck him on the head again and again.


For the first year of Tennyson's life I could not stand to be in the room when he got his shots. They occurred every few months and I could not stand seeing him cry. I would leave him in the room with my mom and sit in the car (and cry to myself).

When I think about Mary having to watch her child beaten (literally beaten, some translations say that the beating of Jesus left him unrecognizable as a man) I can't help but feel broken hearted. As a mama you will do whatever you can to avoid your baby being hurt.

The necessity of the death of Jesus applied to every person who has ever lived, whether or not you believe in the reality (or need of) a Savior.

I know this post is intense but it is with JOY that we celebrate Easter and the freedom, grace and forgiveness we have been given. Never could we deserve this grace but freely it was given. We remember the reality of the death of Jesus and we rejoice because He gave it all for us.

Happy Easter:)
P.S. Tenn has the MOST adorable Easter outfit, can't wait to show it off!

No comments:

Post a Comment