jesus. husband. babies

jesus. husband. babies

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

It all matters so much.

Proverbs 1: 7-9 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; Fools despise wisdom and instruction. Hear, my son, your father's instruction And do not forsake your mothers teaching; Indeed, they are a graceful wreath to your head and ornaments around your neck.

Some days I feel like I have 2 babies going through the proverbial "Terrible 2's". 
My sweet boy didn't throw a tantrum until well past 3 and I think Ava's first tantrum was at birth. This girl knows what she likes and more importantly, she knows what she DOES NOT like. She is so very precious.

Some days I feel like I am constantly saying "No" or "Listen to me or I will need to swat your bottom!" and I don't know if either of those phrases have ever come across in a loving voice.

While reading this morning I was so struck by the above verses! God has entrusted me with Tennyson and Ava. He didn't entrust them to Sunday School, pre school, caretakers at the gym, other mommy friends or even grandparents, aunts and uncles. They are given to Daniel and I to raise and instruct.

The question that these verses shouted to me was "As I raise them am I pointing them to Jesus?" My job isn't to list rules and "do not's" but to model and teach a fear of The Lord and in that the grace if Jesus and (As Tenn's bible so clearly states) The "Never stopping, never giving up, unbreaking, always and forever love of God" through his son Jesus.

So today my heartfelt prayer for myself and my sweet mommy friends is that the Holy Spirit would so clearly remind us that our kids are not ours but give to us by God, their perfect Father, to instruct in HIS ways and truth. What an amazing joy and responsibility. I pray that all day long (especially on days that seem SO long) we would remember that every word of encouragement or correction needs to so desperately point back to Him!








Happy Wednesday :)

2 comments:

  1. When I was pregnant I was convinced there was a right way to parent and then everything else was either wrong or short of the best.

    I know I know.

    Growing up there was a lot of hurt and I wanted to skip all that for my sweet boy and I wanted to go straight to the good stuff. I'd listen so carefully when I saw moms and dads handle their children. I'd pick out what I liked and disliked. It was so overwhelming. Then I stopped.

    It was just too much.

    I decided that instead, I'd pour so much love on my child and his dad that when the world came to shake them they wouldn't walk away empty and disillusioned.

    I am struck by how much time having a job takes out of family life. We are lucky that family watches Murphy with all the love in the world. I am concerned that he doesn't hang out with other babies and he is fascinated by them when he sees them at the store. I am concerned about his nutrition (is it balanced? is it the best it can be? is that the third time he eats cheerios?? why does he love cheerios so much?). I am concerned about his quickness to protest when he doesn't like something and I am concerned that when he grows I won't know how to best instruct him in the art of honoring his own wants without being rude to others and not always putting himself above others.

    This post is so encouraging because many days I just feel ready to throw up with all the worries and think "just teach him the fear of the Lord, to seek wisdom and make sure that if you don't do anything today just love him so deeply that he won't forget."

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such an amazing momma! I love you and thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete